Logistics & Dates
WORKSHOP LOCATION: The sessions will be conducted at the NASA AERONET facility in Lajas, Puerto Rico.
DATES: June 18-25, 2011
AIRLINE INFO/ HOTELS/ AND BUS TRANSPORTATION:
- FLY TO SJU PUERTO RICO - You must arrive at the San Juan Puerto Rico (SJU) airport on SATURDAY JUNE 18th and depart on SATURDAY JUNE 25th at anytime.
- TAXI TO VERDANZA HOTEL - Once you arrive in San Juan please take a taxi to the Verdanza Hotel (taxi at your cost). Photos of the hotel are at: http://www.verdanzahotel.com/
- CHECK IN – Please check in at the Verdanza hotel, where a reservation in your name for a shared room will have been made for you. If you choose to come earlier or stay later just for fun, that is fine, but if you do this you are responsible for arranging and paying for your own hotel.
- EVENING RECEPTION (CASUAL) - On the evening of Saturday June 18th we will gather at the hotel for a small welcoming reception with Dianne Robinson, PhD. Details will be sent to you later about the time and location of the reception.
- BREAKFAST and BUS - On Sunday June 19th you are on your own for breakfast, but please meet the workshop coordinator Barbara Maggi in the hotel lobby with your luggage at NOON. At that time you will be taken by bus to our hotel El Parador Villa Parguera in Lajas, PR. Photos of the hotel are at: http://www.villaparguera.net/
ACCOPANYING CHILDREN AND SPOUSES: Because of the total time commitment needed for you to fully participate in the workshop, we do not recommend bringing children or spouses. Our workshop meets daily from 9am – 5pm and sometimes includes evening activities. Due to insurance and space limitations spouses and children will not be permitted in the classroom, on the field trips, or on the bus. If you still decide to bring your spouse or children please make your own hotel reservations at both hotels. We will reimburse the cost of a shared room which is included in your registration fee in the amount of $360. The hotels will give you a special rate if you tell them you are with the “NASA Group”. The hotel phone numbers are: Hotel Verdanza (787-625-9036) and the Parador Villa Parguera (787-899-7777).
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the limited space on the bus from San Juan to Lajas, you will also need to rent a car for your family’s transportation, should they come with you. There are no extra spaces on the bus.
MEALS: We provide a full buffet breakfast and lunch (Monday through Friday) for the participants. You will be on your own for all other meals.
DAILY TRANSPORTATION: Each morning after breakfast we will walk approximately ¼ mile to the boat dock, where we will be ferried across the canal to our classroom. Class starts Monday morning June 20th at 9AM and ends Friday June 24th at 5PM – you must be present for the entire workshop.
LEAVING THE WORKSHOP: After our final class on June 24th we will leave Lajas, and travel by bus to the Verdanza Hotel in San Juan. You will spend your last night there and then depart on Saturday June 25th. You must make your own taxi arrangements to take you to the airport.